Vulnerability assessment is the process of identifying, prioritizing, and remediating the vulnerabilities in computer systems and network infrastructure. Vulnerabilities are often caused by design flaws in operating systems and applications or by the misconfiguration of systems.
Vulnerability assessment typically includes the following steps:
- Discovering IT assets and creating an inventory of applications and services
- Classifying each asset based on its business impact and security relevance
- Scanning the assets for vulnerabilities or potential threats
- Remediating the most serious vulnerabilities through software patches or other mitigation techniques
- Verifying that the vulnerability is no longer present after remediation